Have you considered how important it is to have a discharge plan in place? Or even discussing with your home healthcare nurse what steps need to be taken before bringing your loved one home from the hospital? According to Family Caregiver Alliance there are several things you should have laid out and coordinated with your home healthcare nurse before bringing your child home from the hospital. It can mean quicker recovery time and reassuring everyone you have the proper medications prescribed and available. Some of their tips include:
- Have a list of diet and activities
- Discussing home medical equipment with physician and home care nurse; making sure you have everything needed before bringing your child home
- How will daily duties be handled and who is in charge of what areas, including transportation and chores
- A written plan and guide, preferably in multiple languages
- A list of community organizations that can assist with transportation, counseling or even meals
To learn more on how to have a complete discharge plan prepared, visit the Family Caregivers Alliance.