January 31, 2011
Having pearly white teeth has become a beauty necessity, however the harsh chemicals that are used in professional whitening treatments along with the heavy prices can be a pain and an expensive upkeep. There are many natural treatments to help brighten teeth that can work just as effectively as professional treatments. Below we have listed 5 easy ways to brighten teeth at the convenience of your own home!
5 Natural Ways to Whiten Teeth
1) Baking Soda– An old time favorite that most people forget about. You can use it alone on a toothbrush or mix it with toothpaste as well.
2) Hydrogen Peroxide-Brush teeth as you normally do and then swish around in mouth for about a minute. Follow up by spitting it out and rinsing thoroughly with water. You can also dab some on a cotton ball and gently rub on your teeth.
3) Strawberries– You would not think that they can help brighten teeth but they certainly can! Rub the strawberry against your teeth or mash it up and use like a toothpaste, just make sure to brush immediately after with regular toothpaste because they also contain sugar and acid.
4) Apples– People have always said an apple a day keeps the doctor away; well this is true for your teeth as well! Eating apples directly without slicing can help prevent the formation of plaque as well as keeping the teeth and the gums strong.
5) Mustard Oil and Salt– Rub mixture on teeth and it will give beautiful results. It may give a burning sensation to the gums but it is an old home remedy that many people use.
Now you have no excuse for anything other than beautiful white teeth!
January 24, 2011
January is National Cervical Health Awareness Month, so we decided to shed some light on this issue. Cervical cancer was once the number-one cause of death from cancer in women and has dropped dramatically, thanks to the Pap test, which can screen for this cancer. Cervical Cancer is one of the most preventable types of cancer because you can control many of the risk factors.
4 Ways to Reduce Chances of Getting Cervical Cancer:
- Get a regular Pap smear– this can detect cervical changes early before they turn into cancer.
- Limit the number of sexual partners you have and use protection– unprotected sex puts you at risk for STD’s and this can increase your chances of developing cervical cancer
- Quit smoking or avoid secondhand smoke– Smoking increases your risk of many cancers and combined with an HPV infection (which is a known cause for cervical cancer) can actually accelerate the process.
- Get the HPV Vaccine– If you are under 27, you may be eligible to receive the HPV vaccine which prevents high risk strains of HPV in women. The vaccine is most effective when given to young women before they become sexually active.
Visit http://www.cervicalcancercampaign.org/ for more information.
January 17, 2011
“Life’s most persistent and urgent question is, ‘What are you doing for others?’”-Martin Luther King Jr.
Many people plan to treat this holiday as a day of action rather than a day off, to actively honor King’s pursuit of equality, peace and public service.
5 Ideas on How to Celebrate by Helping Others:
1. Look through your pantry, and take some cans and boxes of dry food to your local food pantry.
2. Think of people who have health or financial problems and take them a nice card, with a batch of fresh cookies.
3. Look through your clothes and belongings and donate the things that you don’t use anymore to Goodwill or another foundation.
4. Find a local nonprofit, where you can donate your time. You could help serve food at a soup kitchen, read to hospital patients or clean up litter.
5. Teach children the importance of this holiday. One of the most important things Dr. King taught was to befriend people from all races and backgrounds. Help insure that his teachings are carried on to the future generations.
If you are in Atlanta check out Dr. King’s house and the King Memorial. Visit http://www.thekingcenter.org for more information.
January 10, 2011
Wheatgrass is a powerhouse of nutrients and vitamins for the human body. In the form of fresh juice, it has high concentrations of chlorophyll, active enzymes, vitamins and other nutrients.
5 Beneficial Uses of Wheatgrass:
- The chlorophyll from the juice increases heart and vascular function, and is also helpful to the lungs, intestines and other internal organs.
- Cleanses the body and neutralizes unwanted toxins
- Helps oxygenate the blood and may reduce high blood pressure
- Purifies the blood and aids circulation
- Provides iron to the blood to eliminate anemia
Trade in your morning cup of coffee for a wheatgrass shot. You will see results instantly!
January 4, 2011
Excited about the holiday treats this year? Christmas is a great time for eating, but also a great time for gaining weight. According to Dr. Oz some people gain up to 5 pounds during the holidays. Take a look at these 5 tips on how to stay fit for the holidays:
1. Weigh yourself and keep a food diary
2. Drink lots of water before you eat so that you will be more full
3. Do not drink alcohol on an empty stomach
4. Eat breakfast
5. Continue to be physically active